Happy Chinese New Year!!
In celebration of the Year of the Dragon and the commencement of the festival, here are my top 10 favourite dragons.
1. Smaug from the Hobbit – Devious, smooth and terrifying. The Hobbit film is going to be made on the success of Peter Jackson’s interpretation, but with Benedict Cumberbatch voicing then I think it will be geekgasm central.
2. Tiamat from Dungeons and Dragons – How many heads! Ok I think he may have been defeated as his many heads where tangle up ‘maypole’ style but look at all the heads that spew different energies!
3. Enter the Dragon – Bruce Lee’s last film and him totally and utterly incredible. Enough said.
4. Mushu from Mulan – Something for the kids.
5. Norbert/Norberta the Norwegian Ridgeback from Harry Potter – Gender ambiguous, bad tempered dragon that added a new level of fantasy to the Potter Series.
6. Lockheed from X-Men – Sidekick to Kitty Pryde who, due to overwhelming popularity gained increased role in the series and even featured in a creature based comic series.
7. Gorwen from Though the Dragons Eye – Blast from the past. Perhaps it was based on the fact that I was young but the final battle between Gorwen had me genuinely scared for his safety.
8. Charizard from Pokemon – He was an arse to train on the Gameboy but when I had him under my control there was no stopping us. Gotta Catch ‘Em All.
9. Falkor from the NeverEnding Story – Giant dog like Luck Dragon. He’s just so cool and friendly what’s not to like?
10. Elliott from Pete’s Dragon – Fondly remembered as it made me think that it was possible to have an actual dragon as a friend!